Well, it's official, we're in lockdown here in KC, and if you're anything like us, you are officially going stir crazy. Kids are home for a month, people are working from home or out of work, and hospital staffs are working round the clock, some without proper supplies. It's a stressful time for everyone, so we thought we'd write about the upside to being locked in for 30 days. Here are 10 ways to take advantage of this time.
1. Workout - yes, gyms are closed but there are plenty of ways to workout from home. Try streaming workout videos or dust off that bow-flex you bought and never used. Staying active is a great way to stay sane, and taking care of your body helps you take care of your mind. Don't forget that you can still get outside to take walks and go on runs - just keep a safe distance from passing neighbors.
2. Cook - How often have you told yourself that you wished you had time to cook a healthy meal? Use this time to whip up something nutritious for your family and spend the time around the dinner table discussing topics with the tv off. Apps like Plan to Eat help you plan meals ahead of time and create an efficient grocery list for you so you can get in and out of Hy-Vee in no time. After all, the less trips you have to make out of your home, the better.
3. Meditate - practicing mindfulness during times of stress can be beneficial to the whole family. You can find guided meditations on podcasts like "Guided Meditations" by the Yoga Bunny. My personal favorite is to light a candle as a focal point. Find more tips on staying mentally healthy from my BFF Alyna Huennekens at Total Transformations Life Coaching.
4. Connect with friends face to face - on video! Are you an extrovert locked inside? Plan a group video chat through facebook or zoom. You can even watch Netflix together with Netflix's new platform: NetflixParty. Anyone else watching Self Made right now? It's UH-MAZING!
5. Learn a Foreign Language - I always say this - "I'm going to relearn Spanish"... and now I have time. A few minutes a day on the Duolingo App can help you get there. You can even compete with friends for the most points. Morgan Hall is currently kicking my butt from Australia.
6. Clean - deep clean away those germs, and spring clean! Sort out old clothes and items to donate later, and throw away those useless jeans with a hole in the crotch - you're never going to wear them again. As for those clothes that you wear on repeat? Now is a good time to put on some yoga pants and wash everything - on sanitize.
7. Get Creative - All those projects you've been wanting to finish? Now is the time. Paint a wall, color with the kids, write a song... whatever fills your cup. Do you sew? Fill your philanthropic and creative cup by making masks for your local hospital. I found this page particularly helpful for the sewing process.
8. Youtube University - My dad once told me that if he was a millionaire, he would want to spend his time learning new things. You can literally learn ANYTHING on the internet. Don't ask me - ask my dad who recently learned how to improvise scales on the guitar by watching youtube videos. Video proof below.
9. Enjoy - Enjoy time with your family. Enjoy spending time alone. Enjoy taking a break. Play games, spend time together, and connect in a way that our busy work-obsessed lives don't always allow. And take care of yourself. Read a book, do a face mask, treat yourself to a beauty treatment. Do something that you don't normally take time for.
10. Write - We all have a lot on our minds. Whether it's on a blog or in a journal, allow yourself time for self reflection and put it into words. Working through your fears, your work, and your gratitude can help keep things in perspective.
Whatever you are doing right now to contribute to society, from bettering yourself at home or bettering others in the hospital - Thank You. We are all in this together.